I'm a devoted incense user, I burn incense for everything imaginable; to practice yoga, to meditate, to unwind, to encourage emotional release, to deepen spirituality, to get inspired, to nurturing a sense of self...as I said everything. Incense is like a portal for me to deepen my attention spiritually. I use it to uplift the spirit, heighten the senses, and bring peace and harmony to my mind. We all have aromas that resonate with us on some powerful level. For me, it’s NagChampa. Over the years I've found sandalwood, Vertiver and Jasmine to elicit powerful emotions. Certain aromas inspire my writing so I tend to burn those while putting pen to paper (or really finger to keyboard) :) Ultimately life is about feeling good, connecting with oneself, and finding a sacred moment in this busy world to simply be.

But did you know, burning most sticks of incense has similar effects to smoking a cigarette?  An when I'm doing my yoga practice or daily meditation, or just being me, I don’t want to be breathing toxic fumes, artificial fragrances, and yucky junk. It is said burning those chemical laden incense on a regular basis doubles your risk of upper respiratory cancer, including throat, mouth and squamous cell lung cancer. So about a year ago, while pregnant, I started working along with Mukesh, an actual incense maker originally from India but lives in Lahaina, Hawaii for the past 25 years. He and I met on one of my past Hawaiian trips and have stayed friends since then. This was his first visit to Trinidad and on it, he decided he would teach me the art of crafting incense sticks. Not those yucky types found at stores, but the genuine ones. Non-toxic, hand rolled ones that are used in Indian temples. So yes, I'm making incense.. still learning because it is quite an art but making all the same for my home use.

Namaste!

Love this post? Follow me via  ---- Email
Learn, Grow & Live passionately!




4 comments:

  1. love this leigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, learning the art of incense sure is a beautiful thing. Namaste.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! This is lovely!
    Didn't know that incense was that bad tho, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete